Friday, January 24, 2020

Best paying IT Engineering Jobs

Less. Very less. Unless otherwise, you’re from an IIT or NIT or some reputed universities or private colleges, you can only dream about getting a core job in the first place. Later comes the pay scale. I’m from TN and let me take the scenario there when I completed my engineering in 2015 :
Total no. of Engineering colleges - 500+
No. of colleges with Mechanical Engineering - 350 (approx)
*Average batch size/year - 350 colleges * 60 students per college = 21000
*N:B - The fact that I have mentioned 60 students per college is very much lesser than what actually it is. In my own batch, there were 150 people and my junior batches had 200+ students when I was in my final year.
Now out of these 350 colleges, core engineering companies visit say only the top 50 and they recruit a meager 5–10% of that batch of Mechanical Engineers. Also, in that, all big shot companies like M&M, Ashok Leyland prefer top colleges like NIT/IIT and PSG Tech. So their average requirement of says a 100 is closed.
Now the savior of the remaining qualified engineers is our beloved software giants. TCS, CTS, Infosys, and Wipro. They recruit people like a herd of sheep. They hired 700 people in my very campus in 2015. There we Mechanical people rot with coding for a year or two, get low rating and then we are weeded out.
Now coming to the question on income, I don’t really see a competitive income to IT people or other professionals. You won’t find many onsite opportunities unless you are incorporated in your core engineering. I still remember the day I was hired for the present company, Hinduja Group, my fellow applicants who were recruited went just about to leave the recruitment hall after we all were given instructions without even inquiring what they will earn for the coming months. Such is the situation of Mechanical Engineers. The next day I was treated like a hero in the college for core placements. Seriously..? And people went awe when I said my package. And it was only 3 LPA. May sound hilarious to all hi-fi profile people, but this is the reality. Some of my friends worked for 8k per month as lathe operators until they got a decent break.
Recently when there was a recruitment drive in my office and I was there to check their CAD models. There was this guy’s resume on which he had put his annual income as 60k. Yes, it may roughly turn out to 4.5k per month. He attended the interview and got through, but he was rejected by my company. Reason: He asked for a hike. How much..? 200%, which is 1.8 lakhs as the final sum. The company will earn this money in less than a month on his name, yet he was rejected. This is how we mechanical people earn.
You want to be a Mechanical Engineer. You want the best-paid engineering job. Get into big shot colleges or clear GATE and go to PSUs or write CAT and get into IIMs but not core companies unless they offer you big money or you’re unfortunate and you need money badly. It is as simple as that. And by the way, I forgot to tell you about appraisals, they will be even more frustrating. Either they will make you slog hard and give you pennies or they will make you sit idle and throw even lesser pennies. People will say Mechanical is an evergreen branch, but for god’s sake parents please do realize it's not about being evergreen, it is all about money at the end of the day. Our respected Uber drivers, Flipkart delivery people some of whom don’t have an engineering degrees earn more than your Engineer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Software Engineering Professional Associations

There are numerous professional associations where Software Engineers can network and share information. One of the largest and oldest is th...